LLC, Mumbai Suburban
State Nodal Agency Centre (SNAC) Maharashtra, National Trust .
The National Trust is an autonomous organization of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, set up under the “National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities” Act (Act 44 of 1999).The objective of the National Trust is to enable and empower persons with disability to live as independently and as fully as possible within and as close to the community to which they belong.
The National Trust works for the welfare of persons with any of the following four disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy
- Mental Retardation
- Multiple Disabilities
National Trust implements its policies and schemes through State Nodal Agency Centres (SNAC) in every state.As SNAC, SOPAN fulfills the following responsibilities mandated by the National Trust.
1. Convergence with the State Governments SNAC is appointed in every state to create awareness in the State with government about National Trust and its activities. Every SNAC is expected to coordinate with the Chief Secretary of the State, Secretaries of Social Welfare, Rural Development, Education, Labour, Urban Development, Health and Family Welfare etc. in order to promote inclusion of the four National Trust Disabilities.
2. Information and Resource Centre SNACs are expected to maintain and update databases relating to the four disabilities of the National Trust. They are the liaising agency for the National Trust’s Local Level Committees (LLC) and the Registered Organizations (RO) within the State. It is expected to mentor small NGOs, facilitate formation of Parents’ Associations and Disability Persons Associations. Conduct orientation programs, training programs, refresher courses for government officials, LLC and RO members and other stakeholders.
For details of programs click here
As SNAC, SOPAN organizes several programmes in Maharashtra. They include:
- State level meeting with LLCs
- State level meetings with ROs
- Disability Equity Zonal Resource Trainers (ZTRT) Program
- Workshop to explain the provisions of the United Nations Convention for the Rights of Persons with Disability (UNCRPD)
- Self-Advocacy training for persons with disability
- Training for Gram Panchayat Officials in collaboration with State Institute for Rural Development (SIRD), Maharashtra
- Badhte Kadam, a community awareness program in most of the districts of Maharashtra
- Orientation programs on inclusive education for teachers in collaboration with the State Institute for Rural Development (SIRD), Maharashtra
- Early Intervention Program under the RashtriyaBalSwasthyaKaryakram (RBSK) scheme of the Government of India
- Enrollment for Niramaya Insurance Scheme for persons with disabilities